Monday, January 18, 2010

Zone/CO Visit

Hi Everyone! Hope you all are doing good.
Last Sunday, the 10th, was our Zone Visit. We loaded up 2 buses full of Brothers and Sisters and made the 3 hour trip into Georgetown. There were over 3,000 in attendance and around 45 were deaf. The talk was really encouraging! It was all about endurance and looking at the examples of Abraham, Noah, and many others. He used many experiences from the new yearbook, which we have yet to see. I can't wait to read it!! I took lots of notes, but wont put them all up here because their about 4 pages long and I don't have the endurance to type it all out, hehe. But if you want, I can share them with you when I get home. Aside from the talk, our favorite part was that we were able to see DC and Sara Campbell. They were in our Portland congregation and DC was one of our teachers for the ASL class. We thought they had already left for a month trip to visit family in the states. But there they were:) We were able to meet many new friends from all over the country. Hopefully we can see them all again before we leave.
We also had our CO visit this last week. He is from Louisiana and she is from Mexico. Our Sunday meeting had 115 people in attendance! We didn't have power for the last half of the meeting. I think everyone was surprised at how well everyone sang the songs without any music, especially since they were the new ones.
One of the bible studies that was there is about 12. Her family is Hindu. I think her dad studied for a while but stopped. She began studying and immediately started witnessing to her schoolmates. She also told her mom she would no longer worship any of their idols because it was wrong. Shes been taking a stand for the truth and witnessing to everyone she meets for about 6 months now, but had never even been able to make it to a meeting! Sunday was her first one, and she said she absolutely loved it and can't wait to go again. We were pretty excited to have another one of our deaf bible studies at the meeting with us. So we got to interpret for 2 instead of 1:)
Last Friday another Sister moved in with us. Her name's Dana and she is from Indiana. We've been showing her around and are very excited we now have someone to help us with our studies and interpreting:)
Oh, one little mental image for you before I go. This afternoon we walked outside and the first thing we see is this little woman with a long rod beating and yelling at our neighbor across the street. He was drunk and passed out on the ground next to the road. She was beating him like a dirty rug. He just laid there. Then she walked off like it was an everyday thing to beat some random guy laying on the ground. Which here, it probably is.

2 comments:

  1. I wanna meet the lil lady with a big stick she sounds awesome! If anymore weirdos ask where live you send them to her house:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle,

    Noticed your comment about missing the yearbook. Since reading the yearbook in Spanish is not appealing to me at all I downloaded the 2010 yearbook off the website and put it on the ipod. You don't have to wait to get back to the States and a good way to drown out the sounds of donkeys, chickens, car horns, neighbors, roomates that sound like donkeys, etc.

    Keep having fun and thanks for the blog,

    Casey

    ReplyDelete