I knew immediately after my first bus ride here that at some point during this trip we would hit an animal or person. Well, today it happened. We hit a dog. And since the windows were all open we heard every second of it. The conductor was very concerned. About the bus. We stopped and he inspected the front bumper. No worries, it was unscratched and we went on our way. Pretty sure the dog don't do as well. We arrived in Allness Village with no more casualties.
There in Allness we had two bible studies. Pearol was the first. She is about 25 and likes to copy every sign you do. She's very good at explaining the pictures that we draw to help sum up the lesson. After that we went to Pammy's. Last week she was sleeping so we didn't get to study. This week we we were told she was at the hospital. Nothing too serious though. Everyone goes to the hospital for everything. The man said she had some stomach pain. Hopefully we'll catch her next week.
Next we caught a bus and headed to study with Atri, Athang and Trevor. Atri and Athang are twins that live near each other and they always study together. Trevor is usually riding his bike around and joins us also. While we're sitting there watching the DVD they all smack each other around to make sure their all paying attention. They also will correct each other if they sign something wrong. So today while their physically abusing one another to keep focused, Atris son is talking on the phone to his Mom. Telling her he's giggling like a 12 year old girl because he had a couple drinks and is drunk. Then hangs up and picks up a machete and starts trimming the bushes on the side of the house. We're trying to study with the others and in the background we hear the "swoosh" of the swinging machete followed by the occasional "ouch". Before we left I made sure to leave the current magazines with the him. I pretty sure he didn't realize that the one is about alcohol. Maybe he'll make the connection later and actually read it.
Remember the guy across the street? Well, his son has been studying with a Brother in our congregation. This Sunday both father and son were at meeting. That was very nice, yet slightly awkward. Considering the last time we had seen the dad he was being beaten on the side of the road. But he seemed to enjoy the meeting. So who knows, maybe he'll accept a study also.
This Sunday is the full ASL meeting in New Amsterdam. I think we have 4 bible studies going with us this time!
We've been making lots of roti and curry. And I must say we're getting pretty good, lol. I think its good we're practicing because Abi will be here soon and we need to make sure and have the process down really well so we can teach her properly. At least that's my excuse for making it all the time. Speaking of Miss Abi...we are heading to the airport bright and early Tuesday morning to pick her up!!!!! We can't wait to see her:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi ya Danielle. This is your Auntie Stephs sis-in-law. At bookclub she was telling all us girls we had to read your blog. Very glad I did even though I felt slightly voyeuristic. Hope you keep having a great time and finding more "dumb" people. ~ Alysia Sample
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see you too!!!!
ReplyDeletemmm and eat yummy curry dishes, I'm so happy you two are learning hopefully you're not sick of it by the time I come:)
Poor Fido - R.I.P. hope you made some good dog tacos out of him LOL! Love Mom
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of machetes, MacheteSpecialists.com has a ton of different types of machetes from all over the globe for sale for use by campers, hunters, gardeners, farmers, etc..
ReplyDeleteHi Danielle, I had not read your blog for awhile, so I had to catch up. sounds like you are still working hard, but finding lots to be joyful about, except the "run over dog" Incident. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteLove, Danielle Swisher and family