Where to start!? Ok, last Tuesday we went into Blackbush again. It was pouring out there! Our feet were completely covered in mud. Not that I minded. It was kinda fun and squishy. We only found one of our studies home, but it went really well. She was very excited to see us. Shameniel was also able to bring home the puppy she fell in love with the week before. Today we went and studied with Sumentra. Shes usually really quiet and sometimes acts like she doesn't really want to study. But today she seemed like she was enjoying it more. Although I don't think she really understood the pictures Faith drew for her, she was making fun of them:) Her family made us roti, which is like a fluffy tortilla. So good! Then we headed over to Rani. Her family is a little odd, and does a lot of drinking. We have to watch our bags when we're there because Grandma has been known to start looking through them. Today they said Rani was at school, which I found weird. Since she doesn't go to school. They said to come back tomorrow. Not sure what's going on there. After that we took the bus to see Natalie. She's one of our studies that came to the meeting in New Amsterdam with us a few weeks ago.
Our last study today was with Jem. She lives with her mother and her two little girls. When we got to the gate we noticed it was locked from the outside with a chain and some wire. Looked like someone didn't want them to leave. Then her mother came and said Jem wasn't home. Jem was standing right behind her. So we figured out how to undo the lock and headed in with Jem. As we're walking towards the stairs the mother is being very talkative and tells us "Grandma is dead upstairs". What?? So we went up, didn't see any dead Grandmas, and started the study. It went really well. She's studying the Great Teacher book, the lesson on Gods name. She showed us her notebook and shes been copying some of the paragraphs from the book. She writes really well, which is not usual for the deaf here. Faith thinks maybe she can read a little also. Not sure though. It's obvious that she's really smart, but doesn't sign much. Kinda shy. While we're studying with her on the upstairs balcony, her Mom is sitting just inside the door talking to herself. She was saying she's going to beat Jem and us. Shes about 70, so I think I could take her. Then she says that Jem needed to get up and do her hair for her. My favorite part was when she turned and looked at us while pulling down her bottom eyelids. Not sure what she was hoping to accomplish by doing that. We finished the study and headed out, locking the gate behind us. We got out to the street and looked back. There she was trying to undo the lock and escape. I guess shes been known to hang out at the rum shops. Never a dull moment with our studies and their families.
The other night me and Faith are just sitting in our house and I see this huge roach crawling up the wall. I sprayed it with bug spray and it went crazy! Started running all over the place. Up the table, onto the couch, into my bag. We kept spraying it and hitting it but it wouldn't die! Finally Faith was able to kill it. Then I noticed the huge green bug that was also in my bag. It was about as long as my hand. I wish we had this on tape because it probably looked really funny! That thing chased me around the room. As in, knowingly came after me. Not just aimlessly flying around. It looked like a giant mutant grass hopper. That was thirsting for human blood. These bugs here are insane. Yesterday there was a huge beetle on our balcony. The normal ones are about the size of a quarter. This one was about the size of my camera. Crazy.
Well, Sunday is our Zone visit. We're really excited! I'll let you all know how it goes next time I post an update:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow!! Crazy drunk old ladies who see dead people, missing studies & huge bugs that chase you - you are going to be sooooo bored when you get home - lol. Be safe & take lots of pictures!! (did you get a shot of the lady pulling her eyelids down looking at you??) Love you, mom
ReplyDeleteDanielle... your blog is great! Sounds like you have had some interesting times! :) Keep up the good work, maybe we'll be able to join you sometime soon?! Mike, Heidi & Sierra
ReplyDeleteHi Danielle,
ReplyDeleteI sent you an email but not sure if you got it! You are so funny (and VERY entertaining)!!! some of my favorite service times are the ones I spent laughing with you and Abi!!!! We MISS you but are SO glad you are having all the great experiences!!! Wishing you many blessings from Jehovah (which it sounds like you are ALREADY receiving!
love, Kathy (Madsen)
Wow Danielle! Exciting times in Guyana! I don't know what's funnier, the stories of all the colorful families your meeting, or the craziness of gynormous bugs and burt chicken/duck feathers. Oh and we can't forget those ultra safe bridges you've been crossing. I think you should write a book when you get back. Or are you even coming back? I'm with ur mom...Oregon is going to seem slightly dull after all your recent adventures. So glad your enjoying it all. Roti...fluffy tortilla? Sounds like my kinda carb! Get that recipe too ;-) xoxo Amy
ReplyDeletemmmmmmmmmmmmmmm m...vvvvvvvv..... ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,0000000000000000000000000 999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999 ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ???????????????????????????????????// hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww W ////////////// //????????????????????????????? nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ............... ..//////////////////////////////////////////////
ReplyDeletefrom Walker :)
Hi Danielle,
ReplyDeleteDon't worry your computer is not malfunctioning it's just Walker typing on the computer! Walker has been dying to write on your blog since you started it - so there it is. Just imagine if you could take Uncle Ty on your study with Jem and her crazy mother...good times!
Take care - hope to see you in June.
Love, Auntie Steph
Hi Danielle,
ReplyDeleteSounds like an interesting place to be. Did you say there was lots of screaming going on when you had the altercation with the bugs? I would be, I am sure. I think there is a scary movie in ther somewhere. Can't wait to get a look at some pictures of where you are. You give a very vivid description so I am able to kind of visualize....I love hearing about all of the positive service experiences. Even here in the US I understand it is a fast growing part of the organization. You are doing a very commendable work over there, we are proud of you. Sounds like you have a great service partner to share it with too. Take care,
Love, The Swishers
Danielle,
ReplyDeleteRon here. I just caught up on all your posts, they're as much fun to read as Faith's. I like to think that being exposed to Harrison and Dallas helped to prepare you for the giant bugs. Even staying at our house will seem pretty boring after you are home. Got to go, Dallas needs his computer for homework. Give my daughter a hug for me.
Ron
Hi Danielle,
ReplyDeleteSounds like theres never a dull moment. You can write a book when you get back.
It's strange that when I read Walker's comments I knew exactly what he was talking about.????????? Tell everyone that we send our love.
Take care and we'll see you soon.
Love Papa & Nana