So today we went and did some deaf search in our village with Shemeniel. The Guyanese people call them dumb. It feels a little weird asking people if they know anyone who is dumb but if we say deaf they dont really know what we're talking about. Everything was going good until we got to the last house. The house right across from ours. The man that lives there is single and has 2 sons. He was very nice and even studies with a couple from our congregation...but he made it very obvious that he's looking for a wife either for himself or his sons. So now we have to time our exits from our house everyday so we dont run into him again. Apparently all the single men around here are looking for a wife. Good to know. Shemeniel told us to wear rings so people just assume we're married and hopefully leave us alone. Yikes.
Another thing is the mini bus. They honk for everything! At first we thought it was only when they think we're doing something wrong. But no. They honk to say hi, goodbye, move, slow down, go faster, im stopping for you, im passing you or the bus is full. And the music they play...um, wow. When I hear it my first response is to want to pull out my mp3 player and listen to some Jack Johnson, but at the same time its so disturbing I cant stop listening. Mostly Indian. But the girls singing are very high pitched and not natural. Occasionally they play 'American Music'. None of which I've ever heard before. I'll try to get some CDs to bring back with me. This morning before we left Indranee brought us fried bread fruit. Its amazing. We also drank coconut water right out of the coconut. Not too bad. I think I got more on my skirt than in my mouth, but thats not too surprising.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like the ring idea, but as a concerned non-biased individual i'd like to suggest a couple of other subtle things too:
ReplyDelete1) A pillow under the shirt in your belly area
2) Pencil in a bit of upper lip hair
3) Connect your two eyebrows with the pencil too while you have it out.
4) Ask anyone who gets forward with you what they suggest for nail fungus.
The ring may be enough, but you can never be too careful.
Dad
I'm totally taking notes on that one:))
ReplyDeleteSo bollywood music not your taste:)maybe I'll bring some ear plugs down:)
-ABi
We are so so proud of you both. Sounds like you are having a great adventure with a few weird twists. We are so proud of you. Bats? Oh my goodness, your brave! I'm sorry it took me so long to read your blog, but you know how I am with computers. Can't wait for you next blog.
ReplyDeleteLove Nana xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
Hello Daniel!!
ReplyDeleteWe're glad everything is going good on your adventure.Take lots of pictures to share with us as we will never get to Guyana.Tell everyone that we said HI.
Love Papa and Nana
Hi D
ReplyDeleteMaybe we should sent Auntie Kim to visit Guyana (ha ha).
Hope you are having a good time.
Auntie Steph
Hi danielle! So glad your doing well. I can already tell your blog is going to be one of the highlights of my day. Your killing me! I can't believe you were working at safeway when you could have been writing a column for the local newspaper. Danielle the Comedian, I love it! Have them teach you how to make that fried bread fruit so you can make me some next time I see you. Yum! Xoxo Amy
ReplyDelete